Historic city mill to be demolished as plans for 82 care flats approved
AN historic mill building close to the city centre is to be bulldozed after plans for 82 apartments, with on-site care, received the green light.
The 19th-century Bath Street Mill, which was badly damaged by fire in July 2009, will be knocked down to make way for the flats.
Derby City Council's planning committee gave the £9 million plans, submitted by Radleigh Homes, the go-ahead last night.
Chris Neve, Radleigh Group's joint managing director, said the apartments, which would be in the form of three-storey masonry villas, should be ready by April 2015.
Cheap Van Insurance(Commercial & Private Use) - Contact Insure365...View details
Cheap Van Insurance(Commercial & Private Use) - Contact Insure365 01782 898188. Free Legal Protection Included Valued at £25.00
Terms: 1 Voucher Per Customer
Contact: 01782 898188
Valid until: Friday, June 21 2013
The project had been criticised by The Victorian Society, which works to preserve Victorian and Edwardian buildings.
Chester Green resident Andrew Meehan also spoke out against the plans.
He said councillors would be making a "big mistake" if they gave the plans the go-ahead, arguing the site is close to the River Derwent and as such is "at risk" of flooding.
Mr Meehan said: "The care home would be rendered uninhabitable in the event of a flood. There could be loss of life or serious injury."
But the committee rejected Mr Meehan's concerns after nobody at the meeting could recall any flooding incidents at the site in recent times.
Councillor Frank Harwood said: "The building is falling apart. All in all, I think it's an excellent scheme."
Councillor Sara Bolton said the severely-damaged building was a "blot on the landscape" and that "we need this sort of accommodation in the city".
Councillor Joe Naitta said: "The Environment Agency have put conditions in the application. I feel satisfied with it."
A scheme for a new wine bar in the city centre was also approved.
Developer Tony Sandhu is to convert the former Yau's Chinese restaurant, in the Wardwick, into a bar aimed at people over 25.
Plans for the secondary section of what will be the city's first Muslim free school were also approved.
The secondary school will house 600 pupils in Midland House, Nelson Street.