Mother's horror watching boy choke on party food inspires her to learn first aid
IT was after she struggled to help a young child who was choking at a birthday party that Claire Harrison saw the first aid training voucher in the Derby Telegraph.
Having experienced first hand uncertainty in a medical emergency, she knew she wanted to learn skills which could save someone's life.
And when, as part of our Save a Life Campaign, she saw our discount voucher giving her money off a St John Ambulance course, she booked herself a place.
Yesterday, she was one of more than a dozen people who completed the training at the St John Ambulance base in Long Eaton.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The mum-of-two, of Kilburn, said: "I was at a party recently and a young boy started to choke. I just froze.
"I didn't really know what to do. In the end, we managed to get the piece of food free but it was a horrible feeling not being able to help in the way I wanted.
"So when I saw the coupon, it was the inspiration I needed."
Over the course of three hours, the amateur medics learned how to put casualties in the recovery position, how to deal with burns, how to clear airwaves if someone is choking and what to do if someone has stopped breathing.
Through demonstrations and practical exercises, the learners slowly improved their expertise.
Mohammed Daullah, of Allestree, said that, at 72, he felt he was never too young to learn new skills.
He said: "I have a grandchild now, so my wife Margaret and I decided to come and learn some first aid.
"We wanted to feel confident about helping if there was any kind of emergency.
"We saw the voucher in the Derby Telegraph and so we decided to book. It has been really helpful and just what we were hoping for. We have already learned a lot."
Over the coming months, through our Save a Life campaign, the Derby Telegraph will be publishing a series of articles looking at how you can become a life-saver.
These include teaming up with St John Ambulance to offer you the chance to learn first aid at a discounted rate.
We have already been encouraging readers to give blood and will later be asking you to sign up to the national organ donor register.
St John Ambulance says new research shows that up to 140,000 people in England and Wales die each year in situations where first aid could have helped to save their lives.
The course was hosted by Carl Makins, regional schools and community training co-ordinator for St John Ambulance. All learners received a certificate.
He said: "These are simple skills which can be learnt quickly but which could save somebody's life."