Parish councillors 'in the dark' over impact of housing plan for Stanton Ironworks site
WORRIED councillors in Stanton-by-Dale say they are still in the dark about the impact that building 1,950 homes on the village's former ironworks site would have on their community.
Councillor Claire Gallagher, vice chairman of the Stanton-by-Dale Parish Council, said she was surprised by the lack of detail in the plans for the 500 acre site, which were submitted on Thursday.
She said: "We had been expecting this for a long time so it is good to finally see what is planned.
"However, the plans have a serious lack of detail, which we were surprised at given that the traffic reports were supposed to be the reason they have taken so long."
And the timing of the application had come as such a surprise that it was not on the agenda of Thursday's parish council meeting.
Mrs Gallagher said: "We have been told by Erewash Borough Council that it will be down to the parish councils of affected areas to tell our residents. We will have to hold a number of extraordinary meetings to deal with issues raised by residents.
"The other thing that worries us is the length of the public consultation, which seems very tight."
The consultation is due to end on May 10.
Erewash MP Jessica Lee said the plan was a massive opportunity for the area but she would listen closely to the views of residents.
She said: "It has the potential to be of huge significance for the area. I am glad that there is no access road going through the greenbelt but the concern is still the potential traffic problems."
The developers behind the £26 million scheme, which also includes offices, factory space and warehousing, say it will create 2,000 jobs.
Miss Lee said: The business aspect is one that excites me greatly."
She said more time should be allowed for consultation.
She said: "I will be asking Erewash Borough Council why the period is so short but, in the meantime, we have to work to that timeframe."
Council leader Chris Corbett when questioned on the matter said: "It will be many months before anything is decided. People will have ample time to make their views heard."
Labour borough councillor Howard Griffiths, who has claimed the site could act as a cog in regenerating the area, said that a close eye should be kept on the site.
He said: "It's good that at last we've got a definitive scheme to consider.
"It could be one of the most controversial planning applications received by the council in my lifetime.
"The devil is in the detail – and getting it wrong would be a devilish business for present residents and, significantly, for generations yet to come."
The first public meeting will take place on March 4 at Stanton-by-Dale Village Hall at 2pm.