Sinfin waste plant 'will start up again'... but no date has been set
ONE of the directors behind a controversial waste wood plant in Sinfin which is currently closed says there is no date set for it to start up again.
Campaigners who had opposed the creation of the plant in Trafalgar Park, off Sinfin Lane, had told of their delight after the site stopped operating.
They feared it would create dangerous emissions like nitrogen dioxide, which they claimed could worsen breathing conditions such as asthma.
The site, run by Boyle Electrical Generation and Withion Power, had been using a process called gasification, which involves heat-treating wood to create gas, which is then burned to make electricity.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, May 26 2013
The Environment Agency had previously said the plant still had a permit to operate and so was free to re-start work.
It said the site was currently closed due to "financial funding issues".
But Tom Thorp, a Withion director, said the site was "in shutdown mode". He said: "The size of the project we are going to do on the site, within the existing environmental permit, is still being assessed.
"I understand why the Environment Agency may have thought it had closed for financial reasons."
Asked whether closing the plant had anything to do with finances, Mr Thorp said: "We are going through a period of assessment and redevelopment of the technology we employ on the site."
Last June, Withion managing director Tony Wood said the plant operated within "strict parameters" set by the Environment Agency.
Mr Wood said it was hoped the site would employ 12 full-time and four temporary workers. Mr Thorp said this may still be the case.
Simon Bacon, chairman of Sinfin and Spondon Against Incineration, said he was disappointed that it seemed the plant would re-start.
But he added: "The reality was that they would have sold it on to another company if they couldn't keep it going."