Things to do in Derbyshire on New Year's Eve
Visitors to Derbyshire will be able to catch up with the past in the New Year!
An Archaeology Day is being held in January to unveil what archaeologists have been discovering in Derbyshire and the Peak District during 2012.
Archaeology Day 2013 takes place at Chesterfield’s Pomegranate Theatre on January 19 with presentations on tracing the original site of Bakewell’s High Cross and a medieval road, pre-historic settlements in Waterswallows Lane, Buxton, heritage at risk and purpose built workers’ housing in the Derwent Valley following the industrial revolution.
The event is organised by heritage teams from the Peak District National Park Authority, Derbyshire county and Chesterfield borough councils.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Ken Smith, national park cultural heritage manager, said: “This event is enormously popular, with people coming back year after year. It is a chance for Derbyshire and Peak District residents to catch up with the work of archaeologists in their area, from both the public and private sector.
“Often their work with volunteers from local historical and archaeological groups produces some of the most exceptional results, and people who’ve been involved are naturally interested in hearing more about them.”
Pre-booking is essential as the event has sold out for the past three years. It costs £12 or £8 for unwaged. To book call Chesterfield Museum on 01246 345727 for a booking form.
Meanwhile we’ve picked out 10 ways to welcome in 2013 on the last day of 2012 including some places dishing up the traditional dish of Haggis, neeps and tatties or welcoming in the new year with a bang via fireworks.
1. Alpine Spectacular – The Roundhouse in Derby has Christmas themed parties with 2012 being Alpine featuring meet and greet stilt walkers and statues, high tempo dance rountines, circus stunts, acrobatics and aerial acts. The venue is lit in white and ice blue and coats are left in an alpine log cabin so the atmosphere is created from the moment you walk in the door. With a new Champagne and cocktail bar as well as the main bars offering local beers, spirits and wines, there’s something for every taste. Enjoy a four course while watching the show before moving to the dance floor. A chocolate fountain, fun casino tables and a survivors breakfast feature on New Year’s Eve. Tickets cost £65 per person.
The Roundhouse, Locomotive Way, Derby, DE24 8PU T: 01332 851751
2. Masked Ball – Dress-up for an elegant start to 2013 at Ringwood Hall Hotel. Its New Year’s Eve Masked Ball features party games, prizes, table magic and fireworks at midnight with Champagne cocktails and canapés on arrival. Tickets £85 per person.
Ringwood Hall Hotel, Brimington, Chesterfield, S43 1DQ T: 01246 280077
3. Gala dinner – gastronomes will enjoy tucking into a five course meal at this historic Rutland Arms Hotel with traditional haggis, neeps and tatties included. Arrive at 7.15pm for a glass of Champagne before sitting down at 8pm. Dress code is smart. No under 12’s allowed. Tickets are £65 per person.
The Rutland Arms Hotel, The Square, Bakewell, Derbyshire, DE45 1BT T: 01629 812812
4. New Year break – check in at the Riverside House Hotel for a New Year break and be welcomed with a Derbyshire cream tea on December 31. Get ready for gathering in the drawing room for 7pm for Champagne cocktails and canapés before tucking into an eight course gourmet dinner. New Year’s Day starts with a Derbyshire cooked breakfast before checking out and starting 2013. The break costs £370 per couple.
Riverside House Hotel, Fennel Street, Ashford-in-the Water, Bakewell, DE45 1QF T: 01629 814275
5. Dancing shoes – black tie and dancing shoes are a must for the New Year’s Eve Party being held at the Proact Stadium on December 31. Kick off sees a Champagne reception and canapés at 7pm followed by a six course banquet at 7.30pm before live entertainment, cabaret and resident DJ gets diners dancing through into 2013. The bar closes at 1am with carriages at 2am. Tickets £75 per person.
The Proact Stadium, 1886 Sheffield Road, Chesterfield, S41 8NZ T: 01246 209765
6. Country Inn – check out a quintessential country inn for a New Year’s Eve Gala dinner. The six course meal also includes Scottish Haggis with Tartan Salad topped with a ‘wee drop of whisky’. This Peak District hotel is on the Derbyshire/Staffordshire border and has been in the same family for 20 years. There are also a range of accommodation packages available so if you over indulge at the end of 2012, go on some long walks in the New Year in beautiful countryside.
Dog and Partridge Country Inn, Swinscoe, Ashbourne, DE6 2HS T: 01335 343183.
7. Super Club – four of Derby’s music venues are linking together for New Year’s Eve to offer a huge party. Nono 8, The Sun Lounge, Lunar Rooms, The Wardwick Tavern are offering eight rooms/areas of music and activities. Described as: “The first in a series of unique mini indoor festival themed parties across several venues in the Wardwick region of central Derby.” It will feature headphone disco, Rock-aoke (karaoke with a live band), cocktail bar, comedians and magicians as well as lots of music. There’s a superhero fancy dress theme which is optional. Early bird tickets cost £8.
The Wardwick Complex, 15-23 The Wardwick, Derby, DE1 1HA
Nono8, 19-23 Wardwick, Derby, DE1 1HA T: 01332 224210
The Wardwick Tavern, Wardwick, Derby, DE1 1HA T: 01332 332677
The Sun Lounge, 28 Monk Street, Derby, DE22 3TX T: 01332 291234
8. Hot Punch – a glass of hot punch will welcome visitors enjoying a New Year break at Biggin Hall Country House Hotel. Check in at the Buxton hotel on December 30 and stay for festivities through to January 2. New Year’s Eve sees a five course dinner, live jazz, silly games and Champagne at midnight while a packed lunch on New Year’s Day will allow visitors to explore before tucking into an evening hot buffet. Packages start at £375 per person.
Biggin Hall Country House Hotel, Biggin-by-Hartington, Buxton, SK17 0DH T: 01298 84451
9. Piper – a piper will herald the New Year at the Hallmark Hotel Derby’s Black Tie Gala Dinner. The event starts with a glass of sparkling wine followed by a five course meal. Dancing takes diners through until midnight with a live band, DJ and then a traditional piper. Tickets are £89.50 per person. Over 18s only.
Hallmark Hotel Derby, Midland Road, Derby, DE1 2SQ T: 01332 345894
10. Mad Hatter’s Tea Party – a New Year’s Eve Gala Dinner with a difference at the Monsal Head Hotel which is in a valley of the Peak District known as White Peak. Here eight courses will be hosted in the style of a Mad Hatter’s Tea Party based on Lewis Carroll’s world famous story, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland. The meal costs £60 per person with accommodation packages available too.
The Monsal Head Hotel, Great Longstone, nr Bakewell, DE45 1N: T: 01629 640250