First-aid training sessions organised thanks to Telegraph
A GROUP has been inspired by the Derby Telegraph's Save a Life campaign to organise first-aid courses later this month.
Take Heart Derby – a social support group for heart patients, families and carers – has invited two British Heart Foundation trainers to run the training.
Representatives from East Midlands Ambulance Service will also join them at the event, at the Friends' Meeting House, in St Helen's Street, Derby, next Monday at 2.30pm.
They decided to arrange the two-hour course after reading about the paper's Save a Life campaign – to turn our readers into life-savers.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
We have teamed up with NHS Blood and Transplant to encourage people to become blood donors and joined up with St John Ambulance to get the public learning first aid.
Statistics show up to 140,000 people in England and Wales die each year in situations where first aid could have helped save their lives. This compares with 138,000 deaths from cancer. And research also shows fewer than one in five of Derby residents, or 17%, know even basic first-aid skills.
On top of this, NHS Blood and Transplant said about 7,000 units of blood were needed every day to help save the lives of people across England and North Wales.
But it said 96% of the population rely on the other 4% to actually do the donating.
A spokeswoman for Take Heart Derby said: "We wanted to join the Derby Telegraph campaign for first aid, so we arranged to hold these courses at our next monthly meeting.
"Any readers wishing to come along will be most welcome.
Monthly meetings – where entry costs £2.50 to non-members – are among several events and activities organised by Take Heart Derby each month.
The group also arranges coffee mornings, lunches, walks and swimming sessions, among other gatherings. For more information, contact 01332 380219.