£2,500 court bill for a landlord who left tenants in danger
A CITY landlord has been prosecuted for letting out an unsafe house.
Ali Shan was taken to court by Derby City Council's Housing Standards team after the house was found to be unsafe. Shan, of Stenson Road, was given improvement notices by the team but these were not complied with.
The notice was served as the landlord left tenants at the house, in St Chad's Road, with broken windows in rotten frames, making the house cold and draughty.
Doors at the front and back of the house were patched up with timber and had split panels and locks that did not work, leaving the house at risk of being burgled.
Magistrates imposed fines and awarded costs totalling more than £2,500 against Shan for failing to comply with an improvement notice.
Councillor Hardyal Dhindsa, cabinet member for planning, environment and public protection, said: ''Had a fire started in the house it would have put lives at risk as there were no smoke detectors to raise the alarm and doors so poorly fitting and damaged that the fire would rapidly spread.
"The council identified eight different hazards that put the health, wellbeing and safety of the tenants at risk.
"I hope this sends a clear message to any landlords who are renting properties that aren't up to scratch that we will take action to keep tenants safe."
The action follows an earlier case at the same property where the landlord was prosecuted for allowing the house to be occupied while there was a prohibition order in force. This had been served as the extent of the disrepair in the property was so extensive that it was unsafe to be occupied.